Sunday, February 17, 2008

Overwhelmed

by Johnny Blackwell

When I got the news of Johnny's passing last night, I was overwhelmed.

When I got to North Carolina from Georgia when I was six years old, my earliest memories was finding Howard's Variety Store in Spring Lake, where I could buy my comics. Right up there with that was seeing Johhny Weaver wrestle on TV for the first time. A lot of my life growing up revolved around getting those comics and seeing Johnny Weaver on Channel 5 out of Raleigh every Saturday.

I went to see a TV taping with my Royal Ambasador group and Johnny Weaver and George Becker were close enough for me to touch. I still remember what a thrill it was to see Weaver lock on that sleeper. I will always have the memory of that for the rest of my life. Later, seeing Weaver live at the Cumberland County Memorial Arena as he became a mid-carder, was both sad and wonderful at the same time.

Today, I imagine that there is one heck of a tag team making their heavenly debut as George Becker and Johnny Weaver are together again, heading the card at the St. Peter's Gate Arena.

R.I.P, my hero. Say hello to my Dad for me.

- Johnny Blackwell
Hope Mills, NC
Original Post on NWALegends.com message board, Feb 16, 2008
Reprinted here with permission from the author.