Monday, March 2, 2009

Moving Forward Without Johnny

_
To: Dick Bourne, Mid-Atlantic Gateway
From: Captain Michael Smith, Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office
Date: February 27, 2009

I just wanted to again thank you for the continuous support for Johnny Weaver. I still miss that man everyday I come to work. We have many magnificent employees and dedicated individuals who put their life on the line and families on stand by on a daily basis. One thing we don’t have, or have not found yet, is another Johnny Weaver and I am sure we never will. He was the greatest.

Well things around here have moved forward. Many new faces have taken on the task but nobody has the trait of Johnny and nobody almost certainly ever will. I even miss Johnny more now than I ever thought I would.

I have about 8 more years until I retire and move on to another career and as much as I regret having to move on without my friend, co-worker, and a phenomenon and idol to many people, life goes on. And I miss Johnny.

Thanks for what you all continue to do to remember Johnny. You know he would not have wanted it, but he deserves it.

Captain Michael Smith
Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office

(See also: Thanks Kid - Remarks Made by Capt. Michael Smith At Johnny Weaver's Funeral)