Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Four Years Later

I received a nice note from Michael Smith, Johnny Weaver's captain in the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office (Charlotte) as we approach the 4th anniversary of Johnny's death. I thought I would share part of it here.

Mr. Bourne,

Hope you are well, sir. I was just looking over the website as I do frequently thinking of my friend, co-worker, protégée, hero Johnny Weaver.  This doesn’t get any easier with time.  We talk about him a lot and there has been many people come and go but rest assured Johnny is still greatly missed here by many.  As we grow old it seems our mind's capacity decreases but there is one thing I have not forgotten or will never forget and it is that last day with Johnny.  I sure miss him.

Captain Michael R. Smith
Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office




Johnny Weaver passed away February 15, 2008 at his home in Charlotte NC. He had recently celebrated his 72nd birthday with friends and had completed recertification (including a demanding physical) as he continued to work as a Deputy in the Mecklenburg County Sheriff's Office. An amazing man! We miss you, Johnny.
 - D. Bourne, Mid-Atlantic Gateway